Thursday 5 March 2020

Thursday

Good morning.  It really isn't a great weather forecast for today.  More rain, what a surprise!  Thankfully, tomorrow is supposed to be better so I think I'll save the bedding for then so I can get it out on the line.  There's practically nothing nicer than getting into a bed with fresh, line dried bedding!

I finished the tunic top.  Like a lot of clothes, it looks much better on me than on the hanger but here's a photo so you can get the idea.  It's a super pattern and very adaptable.  I could change the neck to a V neck, the sleeves could be any length really, gathered or not, with a cuff or not, with a frill and it could be longer or shorter.  With a bit of a thought, it could be much longer as a dress of some kind.  I do like an adaptable pattern, always have done.  As it's made up, the sleeves are three quarter length and it covers my bum in length.
Standing back, the fabric has a definite pattern repeat to it so I've shown it close up as well.


When I make it again, I will make a proper neck facing.  Most of it is just binding and a facing would be so much easier, I think, and sit better.

Sadly, personal training didn't happen as Lindsey messaged to say she wasn't feeling well.  We've rescheduled for tomorrow morning, assuming she's better. 

Jeff turned up and affected some temporary repairs on one of my back gates.  It was pretty ropey anyway but the winds of a fortnight ago finished it off.  He's going to get the necessary to do a proper job next time he comes and we discussed him giving the whole fence and shed a coating of paint (Cuprinol's Somerset Green) too.   He's also going to pressure clean the back at some point and has given me a quote.
I'm so pleased to have found Jeff, he's worth his weight, he really is.

Today was almost free but now I'm off to Jackie's for coffee and a chat this morning as we have something to sort out (nothing bad).  Later on this afternoon is some tuition and the evening is taken up with pottery. 
The last candle holder should be ready and I have the ball candles although I might have said something very naughty the other day when I saw that Sainsburys has ball candles at about a third of the price of the ones I got online.  Oh, well, the online ones are far better quality and they'll be used, I am sure.  Thinking ahead, I will get some red ones before Chr*stm*s (apologies) as I dearly love my red Christmas candles.
I'll be carrying on with my oval dishes and I noticed that there's a mould for a straight sided rectangular dish so I might make a few of them too.  The oval dishes need smoothing and finishing off so they can be fired for next week and then I can play with the glazes.  I need to plan some patterns!

And I want to go through my paper patterns and and fabric stash and decide what to make next.  That will be fun.  Also, I want to start exploring the more complicated aspects of Mum's sewing machine.

Perhaps it WAS a more or less free day, but I've managed to fill it with some very nice things.  It's going to be good and I hope your day is as well.  xx


16 comments:

  1. That top is lovely, Joy, really pretty material too. It's good that the pattern is so adaptable. Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sooze. I can see that it is a pattern I will use again and again. It also has a skirt and trousers so maybe one of them will be the next thing to try!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I love the new top. Is it jersey? I have never sewn with jersey and just a bit scared of using it. The colour and pattern are beautiful.
    Nice to get outside jobs done by someone reliable. I looked out at our back garden this morning and we really need to get the patio areas pressure cleaned to remove the algae. Roll on the good weather I say.
    It is another miserable looking morning here in the West Midlands. I need some sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's just a fine cotton. I'm nervous about jersey too in case it stretches but maybe I need to give it a try and see what happens. Thank you for your lovely comments.
      Some sun would be great. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
      xx

      Delete
  3. You are clever.I haven't done any dressmaking for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor I but it seems to be one of those things you never forget, like riding a bike (they say)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Your tunic looks good.
    I used to know how to operate a sewing machine and make things but so long ago now I've forgotten it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would come back again very quickly.
      xx

      Delete
  5. Oh, I like the tunic top. Is that a recently purchased pattern or one you've had for years?

    Have you been following the pottery challenge on TV? I think if you every time I watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a recent one. Simplicity 4149
      Yes, I have, with great admiration and enjoyment. A shame it's almost over now.
      xx

      Delete
  6. I really like that tunic top. That's just my style:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's lovely too and will definitely be wearing it when the weather gets a bit warmer. I'll make another in a while, maybe with a different neck and short sleeves, more like a T shirt shape.
      xx

      Delete
  7. I really like the tunic you sewed, Joy, and the fabric is beautiful! Blue patterns are my absolute favorite and I love how it turned out. I am feeling inspired to look for a VERY simple pattern to try on my own. I am very much a newbie with sewing but I think I could do something really simple. You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Debbie. You're so stylish so that means a lot. Give it a go and you might really enjoy it!
      xx

      Delete
  8. Love that top and fabric Joy and the fact you can adapt the pattern to make more. We all need a Jeff don't we - luckily I have got DH but at times I think he would like a Jeff to help out as the list of jobs around the house and garden never gets any shorter. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following a busy week at work I'm just managing a good blog catch up. I'm loving your new header photograph, although as I usually read on my phone you might have had it a while and I haven't seen it.
    The fabric you have used for the tunic is beautiful. You are very talented, Joy. I would love to be able to create something like that. X

    ReplyDelete