Saturday 22 September 2018

Saturday

Good morning, everyone, welcome to the weekend.

I thought I'd answer yesterday's comments (thank you all) here instead of as another comment, just for a change.
Matt the Plumber did indeed warn me that the bath would be short and that I couldn't lie down in it.   I think he was bit concerned that it is totally the opposite of my corner bath.  That's OK, I sit up with a book (or Kindle) perched on the side nowadays.  I used to like a long soak kind of bath but maybe I'm getting too old - they no longer appeal!  And just think of the saving in water, not to mention the time it takes to fill.
I also think it will be a lovely thing when it's finished and just having a bit more space will make a big difference.  Instead of baskets holding all the bathroom clutter, I am envisaging plants.
Thank you for the kind comments about my ongoing weight loss.  I haven't done it all with Slimming World, of course, it started when the gallbladder played up, but SW has certainly helped when motivation was seriously faltering over the summer and has got me right back on track again.
Sue, I think you would love Coggeshall; it is well worth a visit.

Well, I had my outing as the sun was shining brightly and the sky was clear.  It was more than a bit windy and, surprisingly, it was jolly cold too.  I really could have done with one of those jumpers I bought on Thursday.

I won't go into detail as I'll do a separate post which means now I have four posts to work on - Coggeshall, St Peter's, Chelmsford Cathedral and Greensted church and how I am going to select from the thousands (it feels like thousands) of photos I took is beyond me!

Looking at the bus map beforehand, I realised that the bus took me right past St Peter's so I got off there, did the church first, then walked down to the centre and down again to the Barn and Abbey Lane before walking back again to Paycocke's where I caught the bus home, stopping off at a sheltered spot by the River Blackwater to eat my lunch.  It was a very pleasant walk, not too far but enough for me to feel I had a good workout.

I'll just post one photo here.  Coggeshall was a centre of the wool trade in the 16th century so the village sign is very appropriate as well as lovely.


On the way back, I had to fight to stay awake so guess what happened when I got home!!!

I had a lovely day.  It's a place I will go back to again and again, I think, and seeing as the museum only opens on Sunday, guess what!  Not tomorrow though.

For my next 'adventure', I will either get off in Braintree to visit the museum there (I used to take Y1 on a history experience day so it will be nostalgic) and also to visit St Michael's church which looks interesting or I will stay on the bus and go on to Colchester.  The bus station isn't far from Colchester Castle and there's loads of things to do there.  The only disadvantage is that I can't use my bus pass before 9:00.  I had forgotten that but the nice driver let me on yesterday anyway, bless him.

But that won't be for a while now!

So that was yesterday.  Today is back to ordinary.  Early morning swimming, then home for housework/washing/ironing, etc.  And, of course, the first Strictly show.  Could life hold more?


8 comments:

  1. I was interested in your bath story I haven't had a bath in ages as I am a shower person and we have extremely low water pressure here so it takes forever to fill a bath. I soon discovered that I had run out of enthusiasm by the time the bath was filled. I can be in and out of the shower in under 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know showers make a lot of sense from all sorts of angles but when I thought about it I realised how much I like my baths. We don't have problems with water pressure which is lucky.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in Chelmsford my Mum,who was in Bournemouth, used to delight in reminding me that 'that there's not a lot between you and Siberia, dear.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's made me laugh. She's right and it can be pretty chilly round here. We don't get a lot of snow though.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Aunty said the same thing about Siberia - she lived near Bury St Edmund and apparently they are in a direct line with not many trees for protection.
    We have a choice of a bath or a shower - but I usually go for the shower in the morning rather than a soak in the evening - perhaps I should switch it may help me sleep.
    I love the village sign - all villages should have an 'arty' sign so much nicer than the metal council ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit to liking baths more than showers. I don't spend as much time in them as I used to. Back when the kids were little it was my escape, time to myself to relax and have a little read. Now it seems more in and out lol.

    I love seeing your adventures of where you've been to and the photos - reminds me of home! Hope you enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy, I forgot to mention on your post about Colchester that St.Botolph's Priory might be of interest to you too. It's in the town centre, but not very well sign posted. If you google it you could find directions. Not as good as the castle, but nice photos and worth a walk around. I found it quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Viv, I agree about village signs. It would be lovely if every city, town and village had a special sign and, to be fair, quite a lot do. I believe some people go about 'collecting' them on camera - in interesting one, especially if it goes with finding out the history behind the signs.

    Sharon, I'm the same. I used to spend hours in the bath with a good book and, as a young adult, a glass (or two) of wine, but once the children came, that stopped. Then I went back to teaching and long baths remained a distant memory. Now I just don't fancy them - there's always something else to do!
    Thanks for the info about ST Botolph's Priory - I will put it on the list of things to do! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete