Saturday, 31 July 2010

Recipe: Joy's yogurt crackers





I made this recipe up after searching for a recipe for cream crackers and realising that the ones I could find were
a) too complicated or
b) too calorific.

I made them plain - just salt and pepper. I will make some more using herbs from the garden - sage, thyme or rosemary, and some more using the vegetarian version of Parmesan. I bet they will be nice - the plain ones certainly are . . .

Yogurt crackers

Ingredients: to make nine square crackers. 26 cals per cracker
50g SR flour
pinch salt
black pepper
Herbs/spices to own taste
6g butter, cut into small bits
1.5 tbsp (around 35-40g) low fat natural yogurt

Method:
Heat oven to about 180 C

To 50g SR flour, add salt, pepper, 6g chilled chopped butter. Rub in the butter and then mix in any herbs or spices.
Add 1.5 tbsp low fat natural yogurt (about 35-40g) and mix into a dough, first with a spoon and then with the hand.

Knead lightly on a floured board, then roll out as thinly as possible. Cut out shapes (I used a square cutter), place on a non stick tray or sheet, prick all over with a fork. I re-rolled twice to use up the trimmings and got nine crackers from this amount.

Bake for 5 mins, then turn them over.
Bake for another 5 mins
By then they should be cooked and starting to go golden brown in patches – that’s just what you want.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with sea salt and cool on a cooling tray. Store in a tight lidded container.
I have no idea how long they will keep or whether they will freeze. I suspect ‘no’ to the latter.

No comments: