Thursday, 18 March 2010

Thursday evening


. . . and again, what a day it's been.

It started off 'well'! I meandered out of the front door clutching my car key (off my keyring because of having the battery changed yesterday), slammed the front door and then uttered something most unteacherly, unprofessional and unfortunately expressive, just as next door neighbour and little son (due to start our school in September) emerged from behind the hedge, obviously having heard me quite clearly! Sheepish grins all round.
The reason for the lapse was that not only had I locked my keys in the house, not a problem in itself as I could have sorted it out during the day, but - major, huge, ginormous issue - I hadn't put in my hearing aids. Now, without them I am useless, very isolated and very vulnerable and totally incapable of teaching.
Disaster!
What to do?

Well, DD has a key to my house so I was bombing down the road to hers when I remembered (sorry, son) that I have an offspring just round the corner to where I live. So I banged on his door, woke him up, got his key to my house and all was well. Phew.

It did get better after that - well, it had to really. All of the KS1 and FS staff are owed some PPA time because of INSET days which always happen on a Friday. We had an hour of supply cover which wasn't needed so I had an hour of that time paid back today, which was a most welcome surprise and much appreciated.

It was parents' evening again tonight so I stayed at school to get stuff ready. This time it's been a lovely consultation cycle. The children *have* made progress, some of them quite a considerable amount, and all the parents were really nice and appreciative of the fact. Not one negative comment was made and there were so many positive, affirming comments that I think I will need a bigger hat!
Something that was nice was that a number of dads came. I tend to know the mums better because I see them at the beginning and the end of the day, but I see the dads less. This evening, a number of mums stayed at home and the dads came. Lovely!

Now I am home, relaxing with a glass of something nice, chilled, dry and white. Tomorrow is INSET so no need to get in early. Bliss . . . here's to Kenneth Baker!

Important note to self: Have extra front door keys cut and ask nice neighbours (who pretended they didn't hear my naughty word) to keep them for me!


Photo: More crocus delight.


4 comments:

oakleyses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
oakleyses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
oakleyses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
oakleyses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.