Thursday, 21 January 2010

Thursday and a recipe

Yesterday's staff training went OK, thank goodness. People listened, nodded at relevant points, seemed to take on board what was said and generally the whole thing worked! Now we look for an improvement in the quality of the next round of IEPs - they're not all that bad anyway, but some bits need working on. Also, the changes that we have made to the actual form went by without argument. We tried to make things easier for everyone, as well as adding clarity to the recording of information and it seems to have worked.

I'm afraid my class are showing the effects of not having had their regular teacher with much consistency this term. I had a 'clamp down' day yesterday and it was none too happy at times, but after a little talk at the very end of the day, I hope they understood just why I wasn't a happy teacher!! They're a good bunch of children and it just shows how quickly little ones can start to be derailed. I'm expecting today to be much better.

This afternoon will be most exciting (not)! It's the next three yearly boob squashing session and I get off school at 2:30 in order to attend. It means I miss our 'Meet The Teacher' meeting, which is unfortunate but the dates have been changed more than once and Susannah didn't feel she could change it again. So poor Liz will have to lead it for both of us!

And in my last bit of exciting news, I've decided not to do a FMC this weekend as it's Seville Orange Marmalade weekend and that will be enough for anyone, especially as I've never made it before. I promised Anne I would post the recipe. I have no idea where it comes from, but my mum has changed and adapted it over the years. It's no secret recipe so here it is, complete with maternal comments. Warning - it takes some knowledge for granted, e.g. stuff about sterile, heated jars . . .

Seville orange marmalade

3 lbs Seville oranges
2 lemons
5 pints water
6 lbs granulated sugar

2 large bowls
Put 3 pints water in one bowl and 2 in the other.

Cut the fruit (oranges and lemons) in half and squeeze the juice out. It helps to warm it a little (in microwave)
Place sieve over first bowl and pour the juice into it.
Scrape out some of the pith from the peel (about half) and put it, with all pips and ‘skin’, into second bowl. Use every scrap of pith, inner skin and pips in the second bowl, it will all help the set.
Then slice the peel into whatever size you like and put that into the juice in the first bowl.
Cover and soak overnight.

Next day, put contents of first bowl (3 pints water, juice and peel) into the preserving pan and boil gently, uncovered, until the peel is tender, about 1 and a half hours. After the sugar has been added (later) the peel will not soften any more, so make sure it will break easily when pinched, before adding sugar.

Meanwhile, boil contents of the second bowl (water, pith and pips) in a large saucepan, uncovered. Keep crushing the contents with a potato masher and don’t let more than about 1/3 of the liquid evaporate.
Then sieve contents into the preserving pan (push it through to get every drop). It is a good idea to sieve through once, then add about half a pint of water to the residue, boil and sieve again.

Add the sugar and slowly heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, boil to setting point in the usual way.

No comments: