Saturday, 23 January 2010

Saturday morning

. . . and I'm trying to find the energy to get going. The house has been sadly neglected this week, what with one thing and another, and I need to get the kitchen in order before starting the Most Important Thing of the weekend - the marmalade.
Never having made it before, I didn't know amounts and got two nets of Seville oranges - way too much. One has gone off in the week (one orange, not one net) but I still have too many. So I was chuffed to read, just half an hour ago, a recipe for Seville Orange Gin. It is on the Cottage Smallholder site just here:
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/gilberts-seville-orange-gin-recipe-193
I will need to get some gin, it not being on my list of Things-I-Must-Have-In, but I have the rest including, of course, the oranges. But what do I do with the rest of the orange. If I add it to the marmalade will the proportions be wrong and if I include them as part of the existing recipe, will there be enough shred? Does it matter? Being a total novice, I have no idea. I think it would be best to do a search and see what the juice could be used for - maybe a citrus cordial or something of the kind.
However, the most distressing thing about this recipe is that one has to leave it to maturee for three years. Yes, that's right - THREE YEARS! Will I have the self control? I have no idea!

Yesterday I bought some nice Pink Lady apples which I am going to peel, core, slice, soak in lemon water and then dehydrate. Here's hoping it works OK - the mushrooms from last weekend seem fine.

No comments: