Tuesday, 29 December 2009

Tuesday morning later on



And here is the proof of this morning's industry - lots of really very delicious soup which will provide me with some warming and filling lunches at school during the next few months.

I chopped onions, carrots, parsnips, potato, sweet potato and celery and simmered it all in butter until softening. Then I added boiling water and marigold low sodium vegetable bouillon, nutmeg, lots of freshly milled black pepper, a little salt (which I adjusted later), some dried mixed herbs and a good portion of dried red lentils. I left the whole lot to simmer gently for about half an hour.

Then I strained out about half of the vegetables and zizzed what remained into the liquid, tasted the results and did a bit of re-seasoning and diluting with more veg stock because it was very thick and I know from experience that it thickens more after freezing and thawing. Then I put the non-zizzed vegetables back and stirred them in. Usually I zizz the lot, but I thought it would be nice to have some chunks this time.
I'm going to freeze in single portions and to some I will add what remains of the ham and/or a little of the turkey retrieved from boiling the bones. Must remember to label carefully, as DD can't have any with meat added.

It'll be nice re-heated with a little milk or cream added. That's today's lunch sorted anyway!

No comments: