Sunday, 7 June 2009

So boring


I find writing school reports so very tedious and I wonder whether the time they take (well over an hour on each one) is really time well spent. When I look back to my reports, all they contained was a very brief comment, such as 'fair', 'good;', very good' with an occasional added remark such as 'has worked hard this year' (very occasionally) or (more likely) 'could work harder'.

But this necessity to write several lines of comment on each curriculum subject - what's the point? What good does it do? Are the parents really that interested in whether their Little Dear can sing in tune or handles the percussion instruments efficiently? Surely they already know that LD can cut out well now! Yes, more detailed comments on mathematical development and literacy are helpful, but most of the rest?

And I bet that the huge majority of reports get read maybe half a dozen times and then filed away in a drawer or folder, never to see the light of day again. Good use of time? I say NO!

End of rant . . .
Photo: Ava has settled well under my PC table!

No comments: